As far as I understand ‘Britishness’ (answers on the back of a postcard please), it does nothing for me. But ‘nothing’ works both ways: nothing in the sense that no switches have been flicked, no sparks have been sent flying. But also ‘nothing’ in the sense that, for all that Britishness is (or isn’t), it doesn’t bother me to be around it. And so I continue to live perfectly happily amongst the hubbub of Britishness. Perhaps muted, respectful, measured ‘murmur’ is more apt.
There are, however, some habits that completely bamboozle me.
1) The inability to omit the weather as a topic of conversation with all and sundry.
2) The quasi-religious ardour with which queues are formed, yet, by and large, the inability to emotionally compute foreigners’ disregard for queuing.
3) The displeasure and grumbling that accompanies having to pay for an art exhibition.
4) The ‘thank you’ and ‘sorry’ Tourettes syndrome.
5) The apology given by a purchaser when pointing out to a seller that their product is faulty.
6) That stale bread soaked in milk with peppercorns and an onion constitutes a ‘sauce’ worthy of the largest, more celebrated meal in the calendar.
7) That the largest, most celebrated meal in the calendar is a roast, a meal which many households partake of every Sunday.
8) That ‘gastropubs’ have hoodwinked the nation into believing that their food is of a high enough standard that warrants the grossly inflated prices attached to their menus.
9) That, if we are to believe their proclamations, Costa is the nation’s favourite coffee shop.
I could go on, but I shall get to the point of this blog. A habit that bamboozles me more than JLS’s fame:
Dunking biscuits in tea.
Don’t recoil in horror. It’s odd. Not me being bamboozled, but you (whoever you dunkers are) intentionally making something that was once crunchy soggy. Why would you do that to anything?
![]() |
| A very British biscuit: understated and controlled but undeniably enjoyable. |
![]() |
| The very picture of peaceful harmony. |
![]() |
| Death by dunking. R.I.P. Custard. |
1) It renders the previously crumbly, crunchy and biscuity biscuit soggy, flaccid and decayed. There is a reason that we often use the adjective ‘biscuity’ to describe something crumbly and nibbly. (I think I made up another word there, didn’t I? Work with me here.)
2) It renders the tea all murky and funny-tasting. Who wants wet, pappy bits of biscuit floating in your tea, or, worse still, lurking at the bottom for when you sup in those precious last dregs and THWACK – crumbs have gone the wrong way down your throat and now you’re choking like a seal at your desk. Ideal.
I have yet to see someone submerge with glee a Tuc biscuit, handful of cereal flakes or lump of cake in their tea, so why on earth do they feel the need to drown biscuits?
![]() |
| Innards dribbling and oozing, a biscuit waning and crying "why?? WHYYYYY???" |
That being said, however, I would never voluntarily make something pappy that was once crunchy. Nor would I attempt to make something ‘textured’ that was once lustrous. No, no, no. It would be like making a piece of toast or taking a beautiful flaky, crisp tart and leaving them in a sea of milk. Or intentionally boiling a crème anglaise until it curdles.
WRONG. Effort (to a greater or lesser extent) has gone in to making those items crunchy and crispy, or smooth and flowing. If you wanted a soft piece of toast, just eat bread, and if you fancied a soggy-bottomed tart, order one in Patisserie Valerie. They could probably provide you with the lumpy crème anglaise too. And, if you really wanted an uncrunchy biscuit, have some cake.




No comments:
Post a Comment